The BEST Healthy Soup Recipe
Filed under "Recipes"
More articles »
Tuesday, December 3, 2019
As the months grow colder my favorite thing to make and eat is soup! There are so many recipes out there for soups and I want to share with you some of my favorite healthy and healthier winter soups.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed well
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast* (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For garnish: fresh chopped cilantro
- Add olive oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion and carrots; saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in ginger, turmeric, cumin and cayenne pepper. Allow spices to cook with the carrots and onions for 30 seconds then add in chicken broth, coconut milk, lentils, shredded chicken, salt and black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes until lentils are cooked and soup thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Pour into bowls, or individual containers for meal prep. Soup is wonderful when garnished with cilantro. Serves 4.
Leave Your Comments
We welcome your comments. Please leave your ideas and opinions below.